The NJ STARS (Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship) Program — Your Chance
to Shine at HCCC!
NJ STARS is a scholarship program exclusively for New Jersey residents. The program
covers the cost of tuition for up to five semesters at Hudson County Community College
and New Jersey’s 17 other community colleges.
NJ STARS is open to students who graduate in the top 15% of their high school class
and have completed a rigorous series of high school courses (as determined by the
New Jersey Commission on Higher Education in consultation with the New Jersey Commissioner
of Education). High school students who graduate in the top 15% of their class must
first apply for all other federal and state financial aid that may be available by
filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually.
NJ STARS scholars must be enrolled in an associate's degree program at HCCC, and must
take at least 12 — and as many as 18 — college credits per semester.
NJ STARS scholarships are renewed if students maintain a 3.0 or better grade point
- New Jersey residents, who rank in the top 15.0% of their class at the end of either
junior or senior year of high school are potentially eligible for the NJ STARS Program.
Students must also complete a rigorous high school course of study. (Note: All courses
of study are considered “rigorous” for 2021 high school graduates.)
- The New Jersey Council of County Colleges has determined that students who are in
the top 15.0% of their high school class are ready for college-level coursework. NJ
STARS does not cover costs for remedial coursework.
- All students must enroll in a full-time course of study no later than the fifth semester
following high school graduation.
- Students must enroll full-time in a degree program at their home county college, unless
the student demonstrates that the home county college does not offer the desired program
of study or the program is oversubscribed for at least one year.
- Except in limited situations defined by statute, students must take a minimum of 12
college level credits per semester. NJ STARS covers up to 18 college-level credits
- Students must meet residency requirements that can be found at https://www.hesaa.org/Pages/StateAidEligibilityFAQs.aspx.
- Students must apply for all forms of State and Federal need-based grants and merit
scholarships and submit any requested documentation to complete and verify application
data within established State deadlines.
- Students must be U.S. citizens, eligible non-citizens or eligible to file the New
Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application and live in New Jersey for a minimum
of twelve consecutive months prior to high school graduation.
For more information on placement into college-level courses, visit Testing and Assessment.
Click here for full details on the NJ STARS program.
Financial Aid Office
Phone: (201) 360-4200 / (201) 360-4214
Text: (201) 744-2767