Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services provides access to educational opportunities for students with documented needs.

Our office coordinates reasonable accommodations and services to provide students with access to HCCC’s programs, activities and services. We work with students and provide support services, individualized accommodations and self-advocacy guidance.

Accessibility Services acts as a resource to students, faculty, staff and other community members to provide information, guidance, training, and professional development.

Click here to view our Service Animal Policy.

Accessibility Services

If you are a student with a learning, physical and/or psychological disability, you are welcome to visit Accessibility Service. We are glad that you are at Hudson County Community College and we look forward to working with you.

Services Provided

Coordination of reasonable accommodations and services that provide students with disabilities access to programs, activities and services can include, but is not limited to the following:

Self-advocacy skills

Testing Accommodations

Note Takers/Readers

Sign Language Interpreters

Adaptive Technology

Our AT computer workstations offer the following equipment and software:

Zoom Text

Voice Recorders


Learning Ally

Student Process for Requesting Accommodations

Complete a Student Medical Documentation Form.

Gather the appropriate documentation. Provide A or B.

(A) Your most recent IEP, educational and psychological evaluations or 504 plan (should be no more than 5 years old); or

(B) An official letter from a qualified physician, psychologist, nurse or social worker who treats you for your specific disability; must be submitted on official letterhead.

Students with more than one type of disability should submit a letter for each specific disability. 

Every letter should specify the following:

  • Diagnosis.
  • Proof of the Disability–tests that were performed/evaluations; include length of time the student has been in treatment.
  • Current symptoms and concerns.
  • Explain how the symptoms related to the student’s disorder causes significant impairment in a major life activity (i.e. learning, eating, etc.), in an academic setting.
  • Recommendation for Accommodations–outlines the kind of accommodation(s) needed.

Once you have all of the documents listed above, schedule an appointment with Accessibility Services. Accessibility Services can be reached at 201-360-4157 or asFREEHUDSONCOUNTYCOMMUNITYCOLLEGE. During the meeting, the Accessibility Services staff will discuss the accommodations that you are eligible for based on the documentation that you provide.

Students requesting accommodations are required to submit appropriate documentation.
To set up an appointment to review documentation with Accessibility Services, please follow this link:

Student Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. The Office of Accessibility Services is responsible for coordinating accommodations and services for students with disabilities.

No. High schools do not automatically forward IEPs or 504 plans to colleges. The student needs to self-identify and request accommodations, submit documentation and meet with Accessibility Services.

A student needs to self-identify by completing a request form, submitting documentation and completing an initial meeting with Accessibility Services. Accessibility Services will review the information and determine on a case-by-case basis what accommodations and/or services the student is eligible to receive.

You should discuss your current documentation and your needs with Accessibility Services. Usually an IEP and/or a 504 plan alone, does not provide enough information to determine reasonable accommodations.

No, all students enrolled in a class can be eligible, but the student would need to complete the request form, provide documentation and complete the initial meeting with Accessibility Services.

No. Registering with Accessibility Services is voluntary and some students do not request accommodations. Some students do not request accommodations because they either don’t know the services are available or they want to try college without accommodations. Some students may find that they do not need accommodations for all of their classes or every semester. A student can register with Accessibility Services at any time while they are a student at Hudson.

Yes. A student needs to self-identify by completing a request form, submitting documentation and completing an initial meeting with Accessibility Services. Accessibility Services will review the information and determine on a case-by-case basis what accommodations and/or services the student is eligible to receive during the expected duration of the condition/disability.

No. Once you are registered with Accessibility Services you will continue to receive accommodations for the duration of your studies at Hudson. If you need an additional accommodation and your documentation does not support the need, then updated documentation may be requested.

Once Accessibility Services determines your accommodation eligibility, an accommodation letter will be sent to your Hudson email address. The Accommodation Letter will include the accommodations that you need in the classroom that your professor will need to implement in class. You do not need to provide a copy of your documentation to your professor.

Reach out to Accessibility Services to discuss the difficulty you are having with getting appropriate documentation. You may be referred to the Division of Vocation Rehabilitation Services for testing or other local community resources as additional sources for testing.

Employee Process for Requesting Accommodations

Complete the Employee Accommodation Request Form:

Gather the appropriate medical documentation. Have your medical provider complete the Employee Medical Inquiry Form:

Schedule an appointment with the Director of Accessibility Services to discuss your accommodation request. The Director of Accessibility Services may need to speak to your supervisor regarding the essential functions of your position.

The Director of Accessibility Services will respond to the employee in writing about the request for reasonable accommodations within thirty (30) days after the receipt of the supporting documentation and information set forth in this procedure.

Important Links for Students with Disabilities

HCCC Access Guide

HCCC Career Services  - Highlights resources and ways the office can help your career journey.

Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) – WRP is a recruitment program for students and recent graduates with disabilities for employment with the federal government. Opportunities are available for summer internships and full-time employment positions.

Jobs Ability - Jobs Ability matches people with disabilities to jobs in your community.

Careers and Communities for People with Disabilities – This organization connects a diverse, inclusive workforce to employers who are cultivating an inclusive, accommodating environment.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services
438 Summit Avenue - 6th Floor, Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 217-7189

Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
153 Halsey Street - 6th Floor, Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 648-3333
(877) 685-8878

Hudson County Social Security Administration
3000 Kennedy Boulevard Jersey City, NJ 07306
(800) 772-1213

St Joseph's School for the Blind
253 Baldwin Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 653-0578

Urban League of Hudson County/Employment and Training
253 Martin Luther King Drive Jersey City, NJ 07305
(201) 451-8888

Americans with Disabilities Act
The United States Department of Justice webpage for the Americans with Disabilities Act can be found at this link.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
Fact sheet on Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.


Contact Information

Danielle Lopez
Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for Accessibility Services
(201) 360-5337

Karine Davis

Coordinator, Accessibility Services
(201) 360-4163

Journal Square Campus
71 Sip Ave., Room L010/L011
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 360-4157

North Hudson Campus
4800 John F. Kennedy Blvd., 7th Floor (Room 703P)
Union City, NJ 07087
(201) 360-4157