Special Circumstances For Withdrawal


The College publishes all add/drop, withdrawal deadlines, and payment deadlines in the Enrollment Guide and on the Student Refund and Academic Calendar. When they register for classes, students are responsible for adhering to these dates and deadlines and understanding their financial obligations. The institution is also sensitive to the fact that students may face extenuating circumstances beyond their control after deadlines have passed. For this reason, the College offers students the ability to petition for a withdrawal after the deadline or a grade change (“F” to “W”), provided they can present appropriate documentation. Only petitions with acceptable documentation will be considered for up to one year after the circumstance.

Student may only request a Special Circumstance for Withdrawal for one of the following reasons:

  • Medical Emergency - Student must submit a physician’s certification on official letterhead and/or hospitalization records. Documentation should include dates of treatment. 
  • Passing of an Immediate Family Member (spouse, child, mother, father, sister, brother, grandparent) that impacts student’s ability to remain enrolled. An obituary along with proof of relation must be submitted.
  • Military orders that impact student’s ability to remain enrolled. Student must submit a copy of military orders.
  • Personal Matters - Student must submit a written statement of the problem and verification from care team member (minister, social worker, or counselor) supporting the statement. 

When submitting your request, please note the following:

  • All correspondence will be sent through your HCCC email.
  • You will receive a decision within 30 days of a complete submission. Decisions may take longer during busy registration periods.
  • Requests will not be reviewed without supporting documentation.
  • All supporting documents submitted will not be returned.
  • Grade changes and tuition adjustments are considered separately. However, if a grade change is denied, the tuition adjustment is automatically denied.
  • All decisions are final and no appeals will be accepted.
  • If a tuition appeal is granted, it is granted only once during a student’s academic career at HCCC.
  • Students who received a refund check may need to return the refund to be considered for a tuition adjustment.

You may submit your request electronically by filling out our Special Circumstances for Withdrawal Form. Download and attach your filled form along with supporting documents and labeling the subject of the email as “Special Circumstances for Withdrawal” to studentaffairsFREEHUDSONCOUNTYCOMMUNITYCOLLEGE.

You may submit your request in person by printing the completed Special Circumstances for Withdrawal Form and bringing supporting documents to the Enrollment Services Department on either the Journal Square Campus (70 Sip Avenue) or the North Hudson Campus (4800 Kennedy Blvd).

For Early College Students

Early College (formerly LEAP) students should use this version of the form instead:
Special Circumstances for Withdrawal Form (Early College)
Send the completed form to the Early College Program Office at earlycollegeFREEHUDSONCOUNTYCOMMUNITYCOLLEGE.