About This Class
This course is designed for those who want to improve verbal communication, and reading
skills in English. It will introduce participants to the importance of good verbal
and nonverbal communication skills in the workplace including good listening skills.
It will demonstrate how different personal communication styles affect how co-workers,
supervisors and customers receive and interpret information. The course will target
the outcomes as defined below but limit itself to verbal skills only.
Upon completion of the training, students will:
- Understand how personal communication impacts how others receive and interpret information
- Understand common barriers to effective communications including non-verbal actions
- Apply the basic principles of effective communication when communicating with supervisors,
co-workers and customers
- Become effective participants in workplace meetings
- Organize information and present complete thoughts
- Understand the basic rules of grammar (verbal)
- Understand the important of ‘tone’
- Avoid repetitive use of words and redundancies
- Avoid jargon, slang and clichés
- Avoid excessive wordiness and negative language
- Must be able to speak and understand English
- Pre and post assessment for all classes and students taking part in this program.
- Assessment scores from the TABE, Best Literacy, Customer Service Inventory and the
NJCCC PC Skills assessment instruments will be compiled.
- Understand, read and write English language
- Have basic computer knowledge
- Basic knowledge of video conference platforms
- Internet connection
- Laptop, Personal Computer, notebook
Continuing Education and Workforce Development
161 Newkirk Street, Suite E504
Jersey City, NJ 07306